I started this blog on my 25th birthday, and used it to fuel my ambitions: to have as many adventures as possible before I turned 30.
How did it turn out? Pretty damn fun. Being accountable to the internet inspired me to really go through with some wild plans – from flying a plane to hiking Mount Washington to cooking a whole chicken. It’s been a great ride – and now I have even more things I want to do with the next phase of my life!
See where I got so far – and where I’m going next!
- Climb Mount Washington – DONE summer 2015 and summer 2018!
- Get backstage at a Broadway show or a major concert – DONE at Gigi on Broadway, June 2015!
- Run a half marathon – done, May 2013 – read about the kickoff here and the final result here!
- Learn how to cook a chicken – done, Nov 2011
- Spend some time in Washington, DC – done, over the last few years. What city is next??
- Go back to London – DONE times a million when I went to Europe for a month in October 2014.
- Find a job that I love that helps change the world (right now, I think that will be with a non-profit or government agency that helps women, children, and people with cancer) I’m already doing this, helping amazing non-profits be more successful at fundraising and communicating online – LOVE it.
- Continue to volunteer at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp – attended in summer 2010, 2011, 2012 and counting!
- Go back to school, for something fun (Spanish? Cooking?) if not for a specific advanced degree – took an awesome French class in spring 2014
- Visit the White House – done, Jan 2012, though I would still love to actually be invited!
- Plan a stellar 10-year high school reunion – done, read all about it here!
- Get recognized by my alma mater, Mount Holyoke College, in some cool way – done, elected communications chair for the class at my 5 year reunion! But I’ll take more if I can get it!
- Sit in the emergency exit row of an airplane – Done and done (x3). It was actually just as fun as I thought it might be. New goal: fly in the front of a small plane the next time I ride in one. I came so close last time!
- Even better, FLY a plane – done, September 2014. Look for a blog post on this soon!
- Try out for a game show – applied to be on Wheel of Fortune – no dice! Also auditioned for a show in July 2013. Price is Right next, perhaps?
- Meet Sally Ride (actually a life goal, but major bonus points if I can get there before I turn 30!) – Alas, the time ran out on this one. Still proud of my fellow Sally and her accomplishments. Read more >>
- Deliver the best MoH toast ever at my little sister’s wedding – Done and done!
- Learn to poach an egg to the extent that I can serve it to someone other than myself – done – so much easier and more fun than expected!
- Hug a redwood tree – achievement unlocked in 2013!
- Watch the Red Sox play from the Green Monster at Fenway Park – done, summer 2014 – look for a blog post on this soon!
- Play my guitar in public – played my ukulele for my coworkers in 2013 and then finally played my guitar and sang at an open mic night in February 2015. Read more >>
- See a major league baseball game somewhere other than Fenway Park (DONE – went to Nats park and Giants stadium in April 2016)
- Go on a Segway tour (DONE in DC in October 2017 and it was 1000x more fun than I thought it could be)
- Find a place to do some steady volunteering (DONE – Joined Hearty Meals For All in 2016 and now serving as Board President.)
- Give at least $1,000 to charity over five years, combined (DONE – between Hearty Meals, Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, and Mount Holyoke College – my beloved alma mater – I have finished this and then some!)
- Do something meaningful for the 20th anniversary of my cancer diagnosis to celebrate how healthy I am now and help others – DONE in February 2018, with the help of my fabulous support network we raised over $2,000 for David’s House, where my family stayed often when I was in the hospital.
- Finish walking the Freedom Trail, after my 1998 trip was canceled – DONE on July 9, 2019!
- Apply for a job I know I won’t get – Done this a few times as of July 2019!
… and more! I’m adding things as I go, and checking things off as I accomplish them!
- Visit South America and hike Machu Picchu
- See the Grand Canyon
- Go to Greece
- Go to India
- Enter another cooking competition (and win this time!)
- Reduce possessions to quality things that I need and love (will this ever be done??)
- Run for public office (school board, state rep, whatever!)
- Get back in touch with professors and other leaders who can be lifelong mentors as I continue down my path, and become a mentor myself
- Get re-certified in CPR (work in progress)
- Get certified in something – massage, Zumba, crepe-making, project management?
- Get a photo or article published somewhere
- Post on my blog 500 times
- Host Thanksgiving for my family
- Watch the top 100 movies on the American Film Institute’s list
- Help build an awesome treehouse
- Own my own house
- Get involved with Girl Scouts or some other group that helps girls be awesome leaders
- Live somewhere where I can actually follow feng shui and not store everything under my bed (sounds minor, but I think it could be really lovely). And maybe have a closet with a door.
- Be in / work on a musical or play as an adult (beyond my high school and college career)
- Make a quilt
- Take a multi-day art intensive
- Do a triathlon with my friends (the sequel to iii, the race we ran in college!)
- Learn to make a mojito from scratch and practice it for all my friends
What’s on your list?
3 thoughts on “Five Year Plan”
You and I will cook a chicken.
I finally started reading your blog, so cross that off my list! 🙂
I’m enlisting to help you with steady volunteering, climbing Mt. Washington, and *maybe* playing guitar in public.
Let me know when we should get started!
Yay! Now that you have an acoustic guitar, let’s pick out some songs to learn together! We can hike when it cools down but before bear season…