Just because the year’s over doesn’t mean we’re safe from the earworms that defined our year – those dudes at the thrift shop, that chick on the wrecking ball, the techno beats that wake us up and get us rocking. Having a Spotify account this year made me so much more hip as I could listen to these songs as they came out. What will 2014 hold? Dare I predict… a lot of Beyonce?
I know it makes me sound like an old fart, but I don’t care: I don’t know where this year went.
It seems like just yesterday that I was writing the wrong year on letters (yes, I still write letters) and scheming for summer adventures, and now we’re back at the top of the year again, ready to dive into a new 12 months. Here are some of the moments I’ll remember as we close the book on this journey we called 2013:
- Getting to see 4 great friends marry the loves of their lives and start their happily ever afters, and seeing others get engaged and plan their own bashes!
- Adventures with Grandma Boo Boo, including sharing our love of crafts with other people in her community and endless shopping trips to Target
- Two great visits to California, including an epic road trip down the coast with my sister
- Running my first – but certainly not last – half marathon
- Sitting on the couch, watching TV for 10+ hours with Katie during the Boston lockdown following the marathon bombing, and running back inside with our froyo when we heard that the suspect had been caught
- Finally getting to work with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to do online advocacy for a cure
- Winning the World Series and feeling like a united city and a family, instead of a bunch of people who just happen to live near each other
- Awesome family vacations from Maine to NH to a cozy Christmas week in our hometown
- Saying goodbye to my Grandma Sugarplum, who taught me so much and loved us all endlessly
- Going to my 5-year college reunion and realizing, more than ever before, how much my beloved alma mater and the friends I made there mean to me. Mount Holyoke forever shall be!
- Making all sorts of delicious food for my friends, officemates, and family
- Seeing the fight for women’s rights unfold across the country, and getting to stand with Wendy and other politicians who were standing up for women – this fight is far from over, and I’m planning to be on the front lines in 2014
- Having extraordinary fun with ordinary life – from our annual Oscar party to weekly breakfast with Sara to trivia nights with Katie and the gang to joining TWO social sports teams (volleyball! softball! what will I do in between??) to dinners out with friends, this year has been full of reminders of the joy that can be found in the everyday moments.