Long, long ago, in a living room far, far away, I lost miserably on my Oscar ballot. But I like to think I still won the night with my Oscar-themed menu, with one item from each Best Picture nominated film. Check below the photos for the specifics on each recipe.
- Hershey kisses for Amour
- 70s-tastic and undercover-disguise ready peanut butter chocolate mustaches for Argo, with some “escape to Canada” Canadian Dry on the side
- Life of (Pumpkin) Pi(e) dip
- Southern corn muffins and red pepper jam from Beasts of the Southern Wild (our store didn’t have the ingredients to make hushpuppies!)
- Southern Comfort in honor of Lincoln (with cranberry and a splash of gingerale = best drink ever)
- Pigs in a blanket, perfect for eating in front of a football game a la Silver Linings Playbook (note: I never even got to eat one of these despite delivering them in two waves = major party pleaser!)
- … served with smokey BBQ sauce for Django Unchained
- A loaf of French bread and baked brie, courtesy of Valjean in Les Mis
- (Coke) Zero Dark Thirty
Overall, it was a great bash and it taught me that you can never put out the red carpet too early, there’s no such thing as too many little hot dogs… and we need a bigger living room.
Argo mustaches – made with simple chocolate molds from Michael’s – super fun and a good team activity to try to get everything perfect before it sets!
Pumpkin Pie Dip – based off of this recipe, and I made the pumpkin pie seasoning from scratch!
Corn Muffins – made from store mix, with NH-made red pepper jam (I loooove this stuff)
Pigs in a blanket in the classic style – just get some mini hot dogs, subdivide some Pillsbury crescent roll dough, and cook until the dough is lightly browned. One thing of dough and one of hot dogs is enough to make two batches to feed a hungry bunch (minus me, since they were all gone by the time I sat down!)
Baked Brie inspired by Les Mis based on my crowd-pleasing recipe from last year.
Special thanks to my sous chef Sara, my partner in crime, Katie, my coworkers who helped me come up with menu items, and everyone else who came to celebrate and talk over Seth Macfarlane’s offensive commentary with us!