This simple recipe is great for the end of a busy week and can accommodate almost any ingredients you have around. Sub couscous for quinoa, add in other veggies, or include other proteins if you have them handy.
Quinoa and Brussels Sprouts
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 lb shredded Brussels sprouts (I got them precut from Trader Joe’s – one bag will do it!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped into thin strips
- 2 tbsp lemon juice – about one lemon worth
- salt and pepper to taste
- goat cheese (optional, for topping)
- Cook the quinoa – one cup of quinoa to 2-3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 15-20 minutes for liquid is absorbed. Let rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Add the oil, onion, Brussels sprouts, salt/pepper, and half the lemon juice to a frying pan over medium heat. Stir frequently – when the sprouts get bright green, add more lemon juice and bell pepper. Stir for about 7-10 minutes total, until sprouts are cooked but still crunchy.
- Add quinoa to the pan of veggies and mix well. Serve hot or cold. (I topped mine with goat cheese crumbles – SO GOOD!)
This made about four salad-sized servings – can’t wait to eat it for lunch later this week.