This recipe from Cakelove was a true adventure and included more than a few touch-and-go moments. I looked up the recipe at Porter Square Books, bought the materials at the grocery store next door, and came home to see what I come whip up. The final result was tasty (all the office muffins were gone in a day) despite making all these mistakes:
- Assuming that I would be ok without a paddle mixer. Making due with what you have is lovely, but the chemistry isn’t quite the same in a traditional mixer, as I found out this day.
- Using the wrong sugar on purpose. I figured that if I had to buy raw sugar anyway, I should use it up! But again, chemistry was not entirely on my side.
- Making a double batch without measuring the bowl – good for the stomach but not if it doesn’t fit into the mixer! (Hint: IT DOESN’T!)
- Not softening the butter – melted is not the same, and you have to watch that stuff!
- Using half as much butter. After I doubled the recipe, I just could not bring myself to use a second stick of butter. You have to draw the line somewhere!
With all that said, don’t these things look delicious?
Check out the recipe here; good luck with your own kitchen adventures!