Crazy, but great! I found this recipe on Pinterest, where someone else had reposted it – the picture was delicious enough that I went out and bought the ingredients that evening so I could have it for dinner.
Quinoa & Cheese (aka Quinoa Mac and Cheese)
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked quinoa, cooked first thing
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup non-fat or soy milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (was one whole block, for me)
- Panko bread crumbs for topping
- 1 head of cauliflower (optional)
- 2 tomatoes (optional)
- 2 small onions (optional)
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the package (mine took 15 minutes, try not to overcook!). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté or steam the cauliflour until lightly cooked. Chop into smaller pieces (bite sized or smaller) when soft. Chop the tomato into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Chop the garlic and onion into small pieces and sauté until tender.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a large bowl. Add in quinoa and cheese, stirring until cheese is fully integrated and begins to melt slightly. Add in cauliflower, onions, garlic, and salt and pepper (a few dashes, to taste) and mix well – now add in the chopped tomato and stir gently (so the tomato stays a bit intact).
- Spoon into a baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Cook for for 30 minutes or until bread crumbs begin to brown.
Eat and enjoy! The final product will be really hot with cheesy goodness, but worth it. This meal is hearty, wholesome, and downright delicious for any time of year. Let me know if you try it at home!