Over the year, I’ve watched, read, and ignored Oprah. Here’s what I’ve learned from her:
- It’s ok to make yourself the center of attention. If the magazine is named after you, take that chance to put yourself on every cover! Seriously! If you don’t grab it, someone else will take your spotlight.
- Leverage your job to help your friends. Of Oprah’s friends, I love Rachael Ray the most. But I also just appreciate the idea of helping your pals achieve their goals, even if it means you have to find a new host for that segment. (Or a new Senator for Illinois…)
- Use your power to make good changes. In this case, I care about the way Oprah brought new voters to the polls in 2008 and made reading cool with her book club. Speaking of which…
- Hold people accountable. I just finished reading A Million Little Pieces to see what all the controversy was about, and WOW that book should not have been marketed as a memoir.
- It is better to give than to receive. Let me just say, no one likes giving things away as much as this chick does. I’ve never seen someone so excited about getting a car, nevermind giving one. And I watch a lot of “The Price is Right” so that’s saying something.
So long, Oprah, and thanks for the memories.