[Note: reposted to get rid of the ads – pardon the duplication!]
I am going to let this picture speak for itself, and say that I never thought that tortellini could get any better.
But I am so glad to be proven wrong, and to eat the proof.
Tortellini with Spinach, Basil, and Pine Nuts
- 1 package of fresh cheese tortellini (9 oz)
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package of fresh baby spinach (6 oz)
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 10 large leaves of basil, chopped
- 1/3 lb salmon (optional)
Hungry yet? Yeah, me too. (I mean, I did start cooking around 8…)
- Cook pasta as directed on the package. Set aside.
- If making salmon, brush the fish with a dab of olive oil and two large basil leaves and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Cook salmon at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, until it flakes with a fork.
- Heat pine nuts in a medium non-stick skillet. Be careful not to let them burn – it happens quickly! Just watch until oil starts to seep out and pull them off the skillet, adding them to the bowl with pasta.
- Heat oil, and add garlic to the pan. Cook about two minutes, stirring often. Add spinach to the pan (personal opinion: you can never have enough spinach. Unless you know you’ll use it in an omelet or salad later, throw it all in there!). Cook spinach until it wilts.
- Add basil to the spinach/garlic mixture, and throw the pasta and pine nuts into the pan as well. Cook for a few minutes, then add in the cheese and give it a good stir. (By mixing in the pan, you’re more likely to soak in all these delicious flavors, rather than leaving them in the pan at the end of the day.)
- If adding salmon, divide into three or four pieces and add as a garnish, flaking it with a fork.
And there you go! This made a healthy, hearty dinner and amazing, fragrant leftovers. I am already planning to make it again, and the dishes aren’t even dry yet. Now THAT’s what I call success.
One thought on “Kitchen Adventure: OWN this pasta”
Mom, your comment got deleted, but I will definitely make this for you sometime.