Our recent Oscar party was especially cheesy thanks to my successful attempt to make baked Brie with my lovely assistant Sara. I knew I could throw a good party before, but now I know the secret to celebratory bliss involves a giant melted pile of cheese. One less secret of life to search for.
Baked Brie (aka Instant Popularity)
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted (a little expensive, but you get two sheets and it’s the metaphorical icing on the cake)
- 1 wheel of Brie cheese, about a pound (go for the wheel, not a wedge)
- 2 tbsp jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 or so (our oven likes to live like a “Choose your own adventure” book) and make sure the puff pastry is defrosted.
- Cut the cheese (yeah, I know) into two disks. Spread jam on one half, and put the second half back on top. I used apricot which was amazing, but RR recommends raspberry and also adds almond slices in this layer. You can also use fig, or just skip this step entirely if you’re so inclined.
- Wrap the puff pastry around the cheese. Decorate the outside with extra pieces of puff pastry, if you’re feelin’ artsy. Bake on a cookie sheet or in another metal pan. I baked mine seams up, but RR recommends it down, as you could really do it either way.
- Bake! Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.
This is my new party staple, especially since I already have a sheet of puff pastry waiting in my freezer! What’s your go-to party treat?
For the record, gummy bears wrapped in puff pastry will not be as successful as this, and will stick to your pan.