I hope to accomplish all these things before I turn thirty. Wish me luck!
- Visit South America (on the verge of moving this to my post-30 list…)
- See the Grand Canyon (see above)
- Find a place to do some steady volunteering
- Climb Mount Washington – planned for this summer, starting with a hiking class!
- Reduce possessions to quality things that I need and love
- Get my name in the New York Times
- Run for public office (school board, state rep, whatever!)
- Stop saying “yeah” in public settings when I really mean “yes”
- Give at least $1,000 to charity over five years, combined
- Get back in touch with professors and other leaders who can be lifelong mentors as I continue down my path, and become a mentor myself
- Go on a Segway tour (preferably not in Boston, somewhere where I know fewer people…)
- Get re-certified in CPR
- Get certified in something – massage, Zumba, crepe-making?
- Get a photo or article published somewhere
- Apply for a job I know I won’t get
- See a major league baseball game somewhere other than Fenway Park
- Post on my blog 500 times
- Get backstage at a Broadway show or a major concert – DONE at Gigi on Broadway, June 2015!
- Run a half marathon – done, May 2013 – read about the kickoff here and the final result here!
- Learn how to cook a chicken – done, Nov 2011
- Spend some time in Washington, DC – done, over the last few years. What city is next??
- Go back to London – DONE times a million when I went to Europe for a month in October 2014.
- Find a job that I love that helps change the world (right now, I think that will be with a non-profit or government agency that helps women, children, and people with cancer) I’m already doing this, helping amazing non-profits be more successful at fundraising and communicating online – LOVE it.
- Continue to volunteer at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp – attended in summer 2010, 2011, 2012 and counting!
- Go back to school, for something fun (Spanish? Cooking?) if not for a specific advanced degree – took an awesome French class in spring 2014
- Visit the White House – done, Jan 2012, though I would still love to actually be invited!
- Plan a stellar 10-year high school reunion – done, read all about it here!
- Get recognized by my alma mater, Mount Holyoke College, in some cool way – done, elected communications chair for the class at my 5 year reunion! But I’ll take more if I can get it!
- Sit in the emergency exit row of an airplane – Done and done (x3). It was actually just as fun as I thought it might be. New goal: fly in the front of a small plane the next time I ride in one. I came so close last time!
- Even better, FLY a plane – done, September 2014. Look for a blog post on this soon!
- Try out for a game show – applied to be on Wheel of Fortune – no dice! Also auditioned for a show in July 2013. Price is Right next, perhaps?
- Meet Sally Ride (actually a life goal, but major bonus points if I can get there before I turn 30!) – Alas, the time ran out on this one. Still proud of my fellow Sally and her accomplishments. Read more >>
- Deliver the best MoH toast ever at my little sister’s wedding – Done and done!
- Learn to poach an egg to the extent that I can serve it to someone other than myself – done – so much easier and more fun than expected!
- Hug a redwood tree – achievement unlocked in 2013!
- Watch the Red Sox play from the Green Monster at Fenway Park – done, summer 2014 – look for a blog post on this soon!
- Play my guitar in public – played my ukulele for my coworkers in 2013 and then finally played my guitar and sang at an open mic night in February 2015. Read more >>
… and more! I’m adding things as I go, and checking things off as I accomplish them!
After those five years…
- Host Thanksgiving for my family
- Watch the top 100 movies on the American Film Institute’s list
- Help build an awesome treehouse
- Own my own house
- Get involved with Girl Scouts or some other group that helps girls be awesome leaders
- Live somewhere where I can actually follow feng shui and not store everything under my bed (sounds minor, but I think it could be really lovely). And maybe have a closet with a door.
What’s on your list?