I hope to accomplish all these things before I turn thirty. Wish me luck!
- Visit South America (on the verge of moving this to my post-30 list…)
- See the Grand Canyon (see above)
- Play my guitar in public – played my ukulele in front of all my coworkers, April 2013, but I’m not done yet! Planning to play at an open mic night in late February!
- Find a place to do some steady volunteering
- Climb Mount Washington – planned for this summer, starting with a hiking class!
- Reduce possessions to quality things that I need and love
- Get my name in the New York Times
- Run for public office (school board, state rep, whatever!)
- Stop saying “yeah” in public settings when I really mean “yes”
- Give at least $1,000 to charity over five years, combined
- Get backstage at a Broadway show or major concert
- Get back in touch with professors and other leaders who can be lifelong mentors as I continue down my path, and become a mentor myself
- Go on a Segway tour (preferably not in Boston, somewhere where I know fewer people…)
- Get re-certified in CPR
- Get certified in something – massage, Zumba, crepe-making?Get a photo or article published somewhere
- Apply for a job I know I won’t get
- See a major league baseball game somewhere other than Fenway Park
- Post on my blog 500 times
Run a half marathon– done, May 2013 – read about the kickoff here and the final result here! Learn how to cook a chicken– done, Nov 2011 Spend some time in Washington, DC– done, over the last few years. What city is next?? Go back to London– DONE times a million when I went to Europe for a month in October 2014. Find a job that I love that helps change the world (right now, I think that will be with a non-profit or government agency that helps women, children, and people with cancer)I’m already doing this, helping amazing non-profits be more successful at fundraising and communicating online – LOVE it. Continue to volunteer at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp– attended in summer 2010, 2011, 2012 and counting! Go back to school, for something fun (Spanish? Cooking?) if not for a specific advanced degree– took an awesome French class in spring 2014 Visit the White House– done, Jan 2012, though I would still love to actually be invited! Plan a stellar 10-year high school reunion– done, read all about it here! Get recognized by my alma mater, Mount Holyoke College, in some cool way– done, elected communications chair for the class at my 5 year reunion! But I’ll take more if I can get it! Sit in the emergency exit row of an airplane– Done and done (x3). It was actually just as fun as I thought it might be. New goal: fly in the front of a small plane the next time I ride in one. I came so close last time! Even better, FLY a plane– done, September 2014. Look for a blog post on this soon! Try out for a game show– applied to be on Wheel of Fortune – no dice! Also auditioned for a show in July 2013. Price is Right next, perhaps? Meet Sally Ride (actually a life goal, but major bonus points if I can get there before I turn 30!)– Alas, the time ran out on this one. Still proud of my fellow Sally and her accomplishments. Read more >> Deliver the best MoH toast ever at my little sister’s wedding– Done and done! Learn to poach an egg to the extent that I can serve it to someone other than myself– done – so much easier and more fun than expected! Hug a redwood tree– achievement unlocked in 2013! Watch the Red Sox play from the Green Monster at Fenway Park– done, summer 2014 – look for a blog post on this soon!
… and more! I’m adding things as I go, and checking things off as I accomplish them!
After those five years…
- Host Thanksgiving for my family
- Watch the top 100 movies on the American Film Institute’s list
- Help build an awesome treehouse
- Own my own house
- Get involved with Girl Scouts or some other group that helps girls be awesome leaders
- Live somewhere where I can actually follow feng shui and not store everything under my bed (sounds minor, but I think it could be really lovely). And maybe have a closet with a door.
What’s on your list?