It’s summer in the city – long nights, short dresses, sweet cocktails, and a million reasons to throw caution to the wind and stay out for one more song, one more drink, one last train.
This winter was brutal. Many of us felt like our urban abodes were suddenly stranded in the middle of nowhere, with no chance for socializing or adventure. Now, my friends and I are more determined than ever to live it up this summer – both to reward ourselves for surviving the cold, and to stock up on warm memories for the inevitable cold ahead (as George R.R. Martin won’t let us forget, winter is always coming.)
Here’s my starter guide to having a stupendous Boston summer – where to go and what to do to ensure that you’re making the most of these next glorious weeks. I’ll add more items as I hear of them!
- Free films and music at the Boston Harbor Hotel: BHH has an amazing summer series of music and movies that can be enjoyed for free. Get there early to get a seat at their restaurant, and take in some tunes while watching the sunset over the harbor.
- Concert series at Post Office Square: Check out free tunes at Post Office Square, a mini oasis in the city.
- Shakespeare on the Common: Get cultured on the Common with Commonwealth Shakespeare Company and their performance of Twelfth Night. You can catch my friends and me there on August 5!
- Free nights at the ICA: Tap into your artsy side with free nights at the ICA – perfect for dates of the romantic or BFF variety!
- Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell: pack a picnic (or buy one at nearby Whole Foods) and take in a film along with thousands of other Bostonians at the Hatch Shell, right next to the Charles River.
- Free exercise classes at Post Office Square: Before work, during lunch, after a long day – take a break and work out with one of the free classes in Post Office Square. I went to their boot camp all last summer and it was incredible – great community and quality classes for free!
- Get a Sweetgreen passport: check it out to find free exercise classes and events near you.
- Join the November Project: Check out this fun group and attend one of their high-energy outdoor workouts – rain, shine, show – they never stop!
- Swim in the sunset at the Rooftop Pool: the Rooftop Pool (RTP) at the Colonnade Hotel lets you swim for free in the evenings – or just dangle your legs in and enjoy a mojito, your call.
- Run on the Freedom Trail: Sometimes you think you know your neighborhood, but there’s more history than you can imagine, right beneath your feet. Join a Freedom Trail Run and get an insider’s view of Boston’s rich past, while picking up your heart rate in the process.
JUST DO IT
- Explore the Boston Harbor Islands: from forts to fries to glittery beaches of sea glass, the harbor islands are the perfect way to spend a sunny Saturday. I recommend going out to George’s Island and then stopping at Spectacle on the way back.
- Cool off at the Boston Public Library: In addition to hosting every book in the world (true story, I checked), the BPL also has a beautiful courtyard, a cafe, and a great array of exhibits and events, not to mention some pretty strong air conditioning.
- Ride the Swan Boats: Head over while it’s still under $3 and take a ride on Boston iconic swan boats (dare I call them the proto-duck tour?). The ride is short but sweet, and it will make you appreciate the many flowers in bloom and wildlife in the Public Garden.
- Seek out the best ice cream in town: It’s a hard job, but somebody has to do it – search out some of the best flavors in Boston ice cream, from Toscanini’s in Central Square to Christina’s in Inman to JP Licks… everywhere. With options like rose, burnt caramel, and coffee oreo to choose from, this challenge has no losers.
- Enjoy the student-free city: take in the areas that are painful during the school year (Harvard Square, anyone? The entire Green Line?) and enjoy owning a small slice of our city by yourself, rather than always sharing it with a mob.
What else are you loving about Boston this summer? Post in the comments below! And have fun out there!